BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Of Magic & Mania.

I've been relocated, that's the reason behind the major gap between my entries. I'm here in Lahore right now and things have taken a 180 degree turn. I'm seeing things so differently now. Pakistan's no longer just a 'vacationing spot', it's 'home' now, or at least it's supposed to be. While I was on my plane to Lahore, I chalked out a whole outline for another blog entry, it's still on the back of an old prescription, insh'Allah it will be up soon! I won't say much about it because I think the entry will be self-explanatory and I don't want to give away hints in advance. Anyways, Lahore's just freezing, it's 7 degrees outside! I know this may not qualify as "cold" or as "winter" to most people, but trust me, coming from Saudi, this is FREEZING! One of my classmates from college told me, "To wait." According to him, Islamabad would be way colder. *shudders*

Changing tracks, we are currently busy selecting furniture, brainstorming over color schemes, thinking about what to buy and what not to buy. I'm busy squandering over what kind of dresses I want to get for myself. I don't want to look like a FOB in college or a "geek" as some people already called me before even meeting me in person. lol. Won't take any names. Today I went to the area about King Edward Medical University, it's called Anarkali. It happens to be one of the oldest bazaars of Asia. Since it's located near the very old and prime portion of Lahore, it's importance is undeniable. It is virtually impossible to find a decent parking space there especially on a Saturday morning. We made our way through the narrow brick-built streets laden with dust and pebbles. Street vendors adorned the medieval archways with all kind of goods- dry fruits, leather goods, posters, crocheted clothes, used scrap and what-not. We first stopped at Punjab Surgical, where we bought my labcoats. As I tried my labcoat on, I could see the pride in my mother's eyes as she helped me into it. It felt like I was being coronated at a white coat ceremony. I'm sure she felt like she was passing on the tradition to me. It was an amazing moment. Then we made our way to Union Books, the small corner shop which was literally a treasury of medical books of all kinds, foreign and local editions. I was surprised to see that one book could have so many different versions, each version to suite a different taste. It was such a small space and I just couldn't imagine how so many books could fit into such a small area, and how the two shopkeepers could find the needed books in a haphazard mountain of books. Pakistan's a surreal place I tell you. I saw so many people crowding around the mini-counter, each one of them asking for undergraduate or postgraduate books, someone wanted Snell's anatomy, another wanted Guyton's Physiology, someone else wanted B.D Churasia to study Upper and Lower limbs. I left my mother to decide which books to buy from the long list a generous senior had given to me, while I busied myself in observing my surroundings...I saw two tailors adjacent to the bookstore. Both of them sitting in the middle of the street on raised wooden platforms, which seemed so flabby, yet had the ability to withstand their weights. They were busy stitching, what seemed to be velvet coats to cater to the raising demands of winter clothes. I saw a display of different pairs of jeans adorning the walls and ceilings of another shop. A little away from the bookstore was a cafeteria, full of crisps, juices, and other reasonably priced eatables. I felt like I had just stepped into a never-ending whirlpool of life...There was so much around to absorb. Colorful people, things, places...It seemed all so unreal. As I carried the massive medical text books to the car, I could feel each of my muscles eager to get used to the great new responsibility on my shoulders now. I had to carry a beacon forward. I had to do so much. Grow, explore, discover. Insh'Allah. :)

I'm loving it all and it's all because of Allah. I can never thank You enough. Never, ever. Even if I scoop myself inside out. Alhamdullilah.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dis is only the beginning of sumtin grand, my friend...

U hve yet to pass tru da "baptism of fire" of life outside Saudi

Blog all bout it wen u can

Sidra Ch. said...

more like rant about it whenever you can =P haha.