BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Hello? Counselor's Office.

So my trip to school today was very unique. Little did I know that I'd be made to substitute the counselor's secretary today. They didn't give me a very heavy job, I simply had to answer phone calls, note down messages, delivers memos and yeah, type out lists. It was interesting! It kinda made me realize how hard it is to handle such tasks, which we always took as granted. I never thought answering phone calls was my thing, but I managed pretty well. *gives herself a pat on the back* I was constantly shuffling between the High School office and the counselor's office to do their work and man, it was so much better than sitting at home and fretting over how college life in Pakistan's going to be like. Seriously, I'm stuck in a maze. I'm very excited about starting off with college and I have made a good amount of acquaintances as well, but there's still this "anxiety aspect" involved as well. I'm sure it's pretty natural, since I will be leaving Saudi after 18 years and settling into a totally new place, but still it's a little uncomfy. sighs. Insh'Allah, I hope things turn out well. Anyways, so I wanted to eat spring rolls from the canteen today, but sadly, I didn't get time off at all until I declared a "lunch break" for myself around the last period. But by then the canteen had been stripped clean off all the "good stuff" and I was left to suffice over a chicken burger. Sad, I tell you, since I had been craving oily spring rolls from the canteen eversince I got here. I'd dip them in pools of chilli sauce and ketchup and remember the old days when I used to burn my tongue so many times when I ate them in a hurry, my eyes would water and Anam would be handing me wads of tissue paper. Seriously, in a place like Saudi, all you do is think and think and think some more. Then you think that you've thought too much and you need to think about something else. The train of thoughts never leaves you. haha. So today while I was experiencing my school in a totally new light and remembering the old times, places, people and events, such random things took place. Today the first phone call I attended was from some person called, "Syed Ahmed". My grip on the receiver tightened further when I heard this call was from Jubail. I eyeballs almost popped when I heard that he wanted transcripts for his son, Saif, who studied in the school. But then before I went into shock, he told me that his son was in school in grades 9-11. I know this sounds very dumb, but if some people read, they will understand what I'm talking about. So, I met my teachers as usual and many students who saw me sitting at the secretary's place thought I had taken up the job permanently, haha. It was interesting seeing them react, wave through the glass, and smile at me early in the morning, I seriously felt important. I also wanted to meet my middle school teachers, but most of them were having classes whenever I went. Anyways, I always have tomorrow, insh'Allah. Oh by the way, the weather today was simply AMAZING. Sunny, with a cool breeze, just the way I love it. This kind of weather makes me want to take my laptop and sit under a palm tree and write away! The school grounds looked beautiful and I wanted to just click away, but I never really got the chance, I just had too much to do. Hopefully, tomorrow, insh'Allah, then I will try putting them up in here. I also need to learn to get around this web site, it's a little confusing for newbies like me. As I was writing this blog, my friend, Najwa called me from Doha Airport! The call meant a lot to me, even though it was a short one. All these gestures just make me to want to stay in Saudi, especially at this time of the year. The onset of Saudi winters just makes things around so much more romantic, magical, and adds to the already-bubbling nostalgia. This was the time of the year when we'd all get our wintery ward robes out, click pictures at all the random places in school, make plans and of course wait for our friends from around the world to assemble in here. Today when I was delivering memos from one class to another, I really longed for the time to return when we used to go late to class on purpose, fool around, make fun of people on our way and try to borrow books from others. While I was stuffing my face with a chicken burger, sitting in the empty activity center, watching the janitors clean up at the end of the day, I thought of calling Anam. Then I wasn't too sure about using a cell phone on school premises, although I was alumni, I wanted to follow school rules. lol. Going to school makes me feel so much better. It makes everything seem lighter and brighter, as if there's more to life than blood, saliva, stool and plasma. I sometimes wonder what would I do if I hadn't opted for medicine. I think I'd have probably gone into foreign affairs, since, as I always say, I have a big mouth and small ears, which I cover with two, three layers of fabric. Such people do qualify for such jobs, I think. I want to do so much in life, I sometimes wonder whether I will be able to do all that. I just hope, insh'Allah. Before this post gets longer and longer and more pointless than it already is, I think I need to end.

0 comments: