BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

R.I.P Toffee

Today's Eid-ul-Adha, a holiday that Muslims all around the world celebrate each year. This happens to be my first one in Pakistan, so of course I'm here with tons of drama, fun and thrill. The night before was spent just talking non-stop with none other than Anam. We slept around 6 in the morning and woke up around 1, that too due to the incessant yells of our respective mothers. I ran to the dining table as soon as I could, gulped down all the spicy chana chaat, totally ignored the vermicelli, and devoured some lamb chops with huge sips of pepsi. Sounds very barbaric, but it was fun! Trust me, lol. I went out to our backyard to check on the remnants of Toffee. Toffee is what Mowahid [my 5 year old cousin] and I had named our brown and white spotted goat. Toffee was finally gone. We had bought him only two days before Eid and in spite of the "short-lived" interaction with him, he had become a major delight at least for the kids. Mowahid would remind us to take care of his goat each night before he went to bed upstairs. He and I would sit near the backyard for hours, discussing how the goat managed to eat so much of grass and still have room for more. The goat had been slaughtered long before we had gotten up, so there wasn't much we witnessed. I hurriedly dressed into my eid clothes and got ready to greet friends around the neighborhood. As Anam and I stepped into the street, we saw housemaids washing blood and bones off their respective garages and yards. Some pools of blood remained, thank God it wasn't too bad. After all our religion declares "Cleaniless as half imaan". It was interesting seeing everyone out on the street, greeting each other, distributing meat, and dressed in such nice outfits. We went to Deeba's house across the street, then Aunty Khalida's house right beside ours, then we went to Humaira's house- a couple of houses down, then to Haroon's house- where we enjoyed icecream caked truffles and an amazing chocolate cake. I just wanted to stay there if it wasn't for the already pooling amounts of guests present there! Right now I just received many sms from friends from all around Pakistan- Islamabad, Lahore & Karachi, to wish me on Eid. I smsed a few back, the rest I greeted on the internet. Calls and smses should be free on Eid at least. Warid, please take note! The evening before we went out to the Gourmet, the most renowned bakery in Lahore, to buy last minute food items. It was just too crowded and supplies were running low, the refrigerators were totally wiped clean- no soft drinks, no bread, no milk. It seemed like everything was short. Anyways, that's all for now. I will come back with more updates, later sometime, insh'Allah.


Eid Mubarak to all Muslims around the world! :)

0 comments: